Young Scientists status and YS scholarships
The support for students and Early-career Researchers (PhD + 3 years) to attend the European Microscopy Congress (EMC) is an integral part and a respected tradition of this event. Education opportunities for the young generation are a necessary prerequisite for further progress in many scientific disciplines; therefore we will adopt a specific strategy to support them, in addition to any possible action of other organisms or scientific societies.
The benefits will be distributed primarily based on the scientific quality of applications, while also taking into account the needs of candidates from countries with sub-optimal financial support for students / young scientists. An EMC Scholarship Committee, linked to the Scientific Program Committee of EMC2016, will assure the fairness of the distribution of funds.
The Young Scientist (YS) status
A special registration fee is applicable independently of the scholarships to Young Scientists, i.e. PhD students or young researcher (less than + 3 years after the PhD defence by the date of the EMC2016 start, i.e. 28 August 2016)
The European Microscopy Congress YS scholarship covers:
- Registration fee (260 €) waiver
- Additional travel financial contributions, up to 200 € based on submission of receipts, to be distributed at the discretion of the ESC.
EMC scholarships allocation will be primarily based on the scientific quality of submitted abstract.
Young Scientists from countries with less favourable conditions for their research are especially encouraged to apply.
Requirements of the YS scholarship application:
- Be eligible to the Young Scientist status defined above: a copy of the PhD defence report attesting its date, or of a PhD ID must be attached to the application.
- Submit, through the online submission procedure, your first author abstract. Copy of the confirmation PDF file must be attached to the application.
- Submit a cover letter attached as a PDF file
- Submit a letter of recommendation (attached as a PDF file) co-signed by both your supervisor and the head of the group or laboratory. This letter must include a commitment that in case the scholarship is not sufficient to cover all costs related to the participation in the EMC2016, the sending organization will cover the difference in the applicant's costs.
Applications must be sent to the Chairperson of the EMC Scholarship Committee: Pascale Bayle-Guillemaud (CEA, Grenoble, F), Frédéric Pailloux (P’, Poitiers, F), Olivier Lambert (CBMN, Bordeaux, F). Contact e-mail: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: 15 March 2016 (or as updated here on the EMC2016 website).